Grain-free Blueberry Muffin Tops
I noticed that there are few recipes available that are grain free, sugar free and actually tasty. For my patients who are sugar free and on elimination diets, it's hard to get baked goods to achieve the right texture without gluten or starches. Using coconut milk, eggs and ghee together seem to get the flavor and moisture level just right.
GRAIN FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFIN TOPS
Prep time: 10 min Bake time: 15-20 min Total time: 25-30min
Makes 12 servings
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom
1 cup fresh blueberries
5 large eggs
1/4-1/3 cup 100% Coconut milk (Arroy-D is delicious and creamy)
1/2 cup melted grassfed ghee
1/4 cup organic clover honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
For baking: coconut oil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
2. Line a 24-cup mini muffin pan with coconut oil
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl or blender, mix the wet ingredients. Pour the wet into the dry and whisk together. The batter should be wet and cake like. If it is too thick, slowly add more coconut milk. Depending on the brand of coconut flour you use, it may have a different consistency.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them half way to the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out dry. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze half to reheat later
For SIBO or Candida, remove the honey in this recipe- if the blueberries are ripe enough, it will have a slight sweetness with the coconut milk and cinnamon.