Smoothies are great snacks and can also make a delicious breakfast on the go! They are much healthier than juices, because they still have all the fiber and nutrients that keep you full and prevent your blood sugar from spiking and dropping.
By setting your fridge and pantry up with the right ingredients, you can quickly make a smoothie with the steps below. To save time, you can freeze fruits like bananas or berries and then quickly mix your ingredients, blend and enjoy.
1. Choose your fruits (berries, pineapple, papaya, banana, etc). Try to keep it down to ½ cup of fruit to minimize the sugar content.
2. Choose a green vegetable (kale, collard greens, spinach and swiss chard will add vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber without affecting the flavor of your smoothie!). You can also add fresh herbs like mint, basil or ginger to add flavor. Experiment with what you think will taste good!
3. Choose a nondairy milk: Preferably organic 100% hemp milk, 100% coconut milk, or 100% almond milk. You can also add a handful of hemp seeds or macadamia nuts and water for instant hemp milk creaminess if you are out of milk!
4. Add more protein: organic peanut butter, almond butter, hemp protein, rice protein, or pea protein (Some good brands: Great Lakes Collagen, Sprout Living Pumpkin Seed Protein, Aspen Naturals Marine Protein, Nature’s Plus Sunflower and Quinoa Protein, or Nutribiotic Rice Protein). For protein powders, look out for stevia, because it will add more sweetness to your smoothie. If you like stevia, you can skip the sweetener in step 6.
5. Thicken: You can add maca powder, which will add some thickness and a creamier, more malty flavor. Maca is a great energy booster and hormone regulator for both men and women. If you don't have digestive issues, you can also add 1-2 tsp of chia seeds or flax seeds for thickness and a boost of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Sweeten: If your smoothie is not sweet enough, you can always add in another ½ cup of fruit or add dates, grapes, banana or other sweet fruit. If you have candida or are trying to reduce sugar intake, add more cinnamon or licorice for sweetness.
6. Spice it! Add cinnamon, vanilla, cacao, nutmeg or any other spices that you like and combine well with your ingredients above.
7. Add water if you'd like your smoothie a bit thinner.
8. Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender and serve! Enjoy!